Expertly
restored version of the world's oldest surviving MG model; period LAP ohv
cylinder head; always in regular use and in wonderful condition
throughout
A man of enormous energy and creative flair with petrol
flowing through his veins, Cecil Kimber joined Morris Motors in March 1921,
initially as a sales manager, but was soon promoted to run The Morris Garages in
Alfred Street, Oxford.
An autonomous part of the main Morris company,
Morris Garages was a retail sales and service centre, but under Kimber it became
something of a ‘skunk works’ department, specialising in modifying the standard
Morris Oxford/Cowley chassis, tuning up the engines and running gear and fitting
special lightweight coachwork.
Known as ‘Kimber Specials’, they bore both
Morris and MG badges and it wasn’t until 1928 that The Morris Garages enterprise
had become big enough to warrant a separate identity from its parent company,
becoming known as The MG Car Company.
The first model to bear the MG
octagon badge is generally considered to be an open two-seater with a Raworth
body fitted to a modified 11.9hp Cowley chassis. Six of these were made in
1923/24, retailing at £350 compared to £175 for the standard
Cowley.
Before these Raworth cars were completed though, William ‘Billy’
Cooper, a famous car and motorcycle trials competitor well-known to Morris
Garages, placed an order for two four-seater versions – one for himself and the
other for Jack Gardiner, one of Kimber’s salesmen (the last photo shows Gardiner
in that very car).
Sharing stylistic and technical cues with the Raworth
two-seater cars, these rakish and elegant four-seaters were so well-received
that they were put into limited production.
Originally named the MG 14/28
Sports, they soon evolved into the MG 14/28 Super Sports, available in
Four-Seater Tourer, and two-seater Coupe and Salonette variants. Built around a
modified Morris Oxford Bullnose chassis, lowered and lengthened by six inches,
they incorporated many upgrades to the brakes, steering and suspension
to elevate them to sporting MG status.
The rear axle ratio was
raised, a larger radiator fitted, wire wheels replaced the standard artillery
type, the battery was relocated from the running board to under the front seats,
the steering wheel was lowered and featured three rather than four spokes while
the 1,802cc Hotchkiss engine was fitted with a free-flowing aluminium head and
tuned to maximise the revs.
The throttle pedal was also moved from the
centre to the right (soon to become standard practice among all makers) and the
steering box was moved from its mounting on the cylinder block to one on the
chassis which made the car much more stable and predictable on bumpy
roads.
The coachwork was built by Carbodies and featured a two-tone mix
of blue painted steel and polished aluminium alloy over an ash frame with a
raked windscreen to accentuate the sporting lines, prominent polished nickel
scuttle vents, blue Morris Oxford MG Super Sports radiator badge and brass MG
kick plates on the door sills. A blue enamelled MG Super Sports badge was also
mounted on a polished alloy panel in the centre of the dash.
When the
demonstrator was tested by The Autocar in May 1925, they
declared it to be: ‘A sports model with unusually attractive lines’ blessed with
‘a very lively performance and a higher turn of speed than most drivers would
care to use’, going on to record a top speed of 65mph with 0-50mph in 24
seconds.
The following year, Billy Cooper won a Gold Medal in his own
14/28 Super Sports at the MCC’s One-Hour High Speed Trial at Brooklands, earning
the MG marque its first competition success.
The Bullnose 14/28
stayed in production until late-1926 when it followed suit with its standard
Morris sister car and adopted a rather less handsome flat radiator. Costing
between £395 and £475 depending on the coachwork (equivalent to the average
house price at the time), exact production figures are uncertain, but it is
believed that around 13 were made in 1924 and perhaps rather more in the
next two years before the flat-rad model took over in 1926 which was slightly
wider, heavier and slower than the early Bullnose cars.
By the time it
was replaced by the very similar 14/40 model in 1927, it is thought that around
400 of the 14/28 models had been made in total, of which only around a dozen are
believed to survive today.
MR 7058 was first registered in Swindon
in June 1926, to a Mr Humphrey Cottrill of Lambourne. A horse-breeder and
jockey, he bought the car as a reward for himself after enjoying a big win at
the Ascot races, as he related to the previous owner when they visited him
in a nursing home shortly before he died. Cottrill used the car extensively
until 1930, a buff logbook showing that it then had four further owners in quick
succession, the last being a Mr F Edmunds of Brighton who acquired MR 7058 in
April 1934.
The subsequent history of MR was lost in the mists of
time before a chassis and running gear were discovered buried in
woodland on the Wiltshire/Somerset border. Photos in the history
file show there was little bodywork left by 1988 when the remains
were extracted.
It took eight years for the then-owner, a serial
vintage car restorer and historian, to find and restore genuine period
fittings, what could not be sourced at autojumbles was fabricated to
exact company specifications to produce possibly the most correct
interpretation of an MG 14/28 there is today.
The body was built by
a Mr Pitney of Wokingham from drawings made by taking the dimensions from David
Potter’s 14/28 Super Sports. These drawings and dimensions are included in
today’s sale. The windscreen frame, a unique design used by MG, was specially
fabricated, the correct period instrumentation was sourced to complement the new
seats and a full set of weather gear was carefully made
and fitted. Originally MR 7058 was a two-seater, as shown by the buff
logbook, but this car was built as a four-seater for practical
usability.
DVLA happily assigned the original registration number of MR
7058 to the completed car in 1998, and the restorer kept the car and used it
extensively for over 30 years both in this country and around Europe, the
usability enhanced by the fitment of a period LAP cylinder head, a highly
desirable overhead-valve conversion by Lago Automotive Products of London which
would be virtually impossible to source today.
Developed by Anthony Lago
(who went on to found the Talbot-Lago marque in France), the LAP ohv conversion
was aimed at well-heeled Morris owners who could afford the £24 price tag (ten
times the average weekly wage at the time).
Lago’s ads boldly claimed:
‘Enormously improved acceleration, greater speed on hills, more hill climbing in
top, far less gear changing, cooler running, higher speed and reduced petrol
consumption’. The reality was perhaps not quite as sensational, the restorer of
this car observing: “What the ohv conversion supplies is bottom-end torque, not
speed. So there is hardly a hill that is not passable in top, saving recourse to
the rather archaic three-speed gearbox”.
In June 2018, MR 7058 was the
subject of an eight-page feature in The Automobile magazine,
the writer singling out the car’s ride and handling for particular
praise:
"It feels stable and predictable, tracking true even when the
steering wheel is momentarily released. A corner looms. Some speed is shed, but
perhaps not as much as I would have liked. The 14/28 then does what all good
members of its octagonal clan should – it flies through the bend with minimal
roll and even less fuss. I’m genuinely astounded by this Vintage machine’s
prowess."
The owner/restorer also takes the wheel and bowls along at
55mph, saying: "When we did a Bugatti rally several years ago, I must say we
showed several of the attending Bugattis a clean pair of heels. These cars
are made for using. You can see how Kimber got away with charging a vast amount
of money over the standard Oxford price."
Due to the extremely
dilapidated state of the remains that originated this rebuild, MR 7058 does not
currently feature on the list of surviving MGs held by the Vintage Register of
the MG Car Club, but as with many expertly restored vintage cars of this period,
it now drives better than new, while years of careful use have given it the
patina so desirable in a 1920’s car. It is totally correct in all details that
differentiated an MG from its Morris counterparts and we are told that it is
widely admired wherever it goes.
Fastidiously built with great attention
to detail, this represents a rare opportunity to acquire a true vintage car
from the era of the very beginnings of the MG dynasty. As you can see in
the photos, this expertly restored machine is in spectacular condition
throughout and has been starting on the first press of the button and
running beautifully as we have moved it around on site, with healthy oil
pressure.
It comes with the original aluminium cylinder head (see
photos), a period jack in the tool box on the running board plus a wealth of
useful technical literature to assist in keeping it in tip-top running order for
many years to come.
None of the six original Raworth-bodied
two-seater Morris/MG specials survive, so the 14/28 Super Sports is effectively
the oldest surviving MG model and certainly the first to achieve success in
competition.
Eminently usable and a veteran of many shows and rallies, MR
7058 would grace any discerning collection. We could only find a record of one
14/28 Super Sports being sold at auction, a 1927 flat rad four-seater tourer
which made $77,000 at RM Sotheby’s in America in September 2022. Arguably more
desirable, this gorgeous Bullnose looks mighty attractive at the enticing guide
price suggested.
Consigned by James Dennison – 07970 309907
– james.dennison@brightwells.com